The ‘permanent’ component of the Regiment was formed on 1 August 1871, when the New South Wales Artillery was raised. A component of this regiment was later designated A Battery and continues in service to this day as a FT sub-unit of the Australian Army.1
The following States raised permanent batteries in the years indicated:
a. Victoria - 1870,
b. New South Wales - 1871,
c. South Australia - 1882,
d. Queensland - 1885, and
e. Tasmania - 1886.
f. Western Australia – 1893.
The RAA came into being on 14 July 1899 when the permanent artillery units of New South Wales, Queensland, and Victoria were granted the title ‘Royal’ by Her Majesty Queen Victoria, becoming colonial Regiments of the RAA.2