RAAHC Banner
         

ARTILLERY REGISTER

         
40 mm Bofors No 12 (Bristol) Anti Aircraft Gun
Type of Gun: 40 mm Bofors No 12 (Bristol) Anti Aircraft Gun
Location: Ingleburn Military Heritage Precinct, Campbelltown Road, Ingleburn, NSW
GPS Location: 33° 58' 31.92" S - 150° 51' 11.96" E
Serial Number: Plate missing
Date of Manufacture: Plate missing
Manufacturer: Plate missing
Calibre: 40 mm - 1.57 inch
Weight of Projectile: 0.89 kg - 1.96 lb
Range: 7,200 metres - 23,600 feet
         
Historical Specifics: A modified 40mm Bofors gun, built by Bristol Aircraft, converted existing Bofors guns by adding powered traverse and elevation and a gyro stabilised sight.
In the early 1930’s the 40 mm gun was developed for defence against low flying aircraft by the Swedish Armament Manufacturer ‘Bofors’. The 40mm Bofors was an extremely versatile gun. Apart from its prime role it was used as an anti-tank weapon, against torpedo-boats in harbour defence, in neutralising fire during infantry assaults, for attacking fortified bunkers, shooting up enemy transport and indicating lines and timing of infantry advance at night.

When the 2nd AIF arrived in the Middle East two of the Anti Aircraft Regiments were trained on and issued with 40 mm Bofors guns. On their return to Australia they brought their guns with them in most cases providing the Anti Aircraft protection for their transport ships.

The Army in Australia was issued with the 40 mm Bofors gun in late 1941 and gradually batteries were built up and sent to areas where they might be required. Eventually these batteries and those of the AIF saw action in all theatres of the war, in Darwin and the South West Pacific Area.

On the reforming of the Australian Army in 1948 Light AA Batteries equipped with the 40 mm Bofors gun were part of the Order of Battle of both the Regular and Citizen Force.

There was a small number of these guns manufactured in Australia but most were imported from Canada and England. Approximately 290 guns and 700 spare barrels had been produced in Australia when production ceased in mid 1944.

After the war, Bristol developed a new mounting for the Bofors which had a heavier carriage including a generator to provide powered elevation and traverse. The gun was controlled by a joystick and aimed by a gyro-stabilised computing sight. This modification, known as the Bristol Bofors or Bofors No 12, was adopted for service around 1950.
         
General Information on Gun Type:  
         
Additional Photos:        
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
 

© Royal Australian Artillery Historical Company - All Rights Reserved
COPYRIGHT | DISCLAIMER | YOUR CONDUCT | PRIVACY
webmaster@artilleryhistory.org